SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195726 - 12/14/05 10:32 AM "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Last night while I was in the middle of performing, the music suddenly stopped, and the screen turned blue and said, "CRITICAL ERROR" and told me to restart the machine.

Thank G-d it wasn't during the dancing, but nevertheless I got a few strange looks.

Did anyone else have this problem?

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. I was just playing a regular style (not user) and hadn't pressed any buttons at the time of the error.

Chony

#195727 - 12/14/05 11:01 AM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Chony:

Is this a cliff hanger??

Did it reset??

pose

#195728 - 12/14/05 11:32 AM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Last night while I was in the middle of performing, the music suddenly stopped, and the screen turned blue and said, "CRITICAL ERROR" and told me to restart the machine.

Is Yamaha employing ex-Microsoft programmers?

--Barry

#195729 - 12/14/05 12:26 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chony
Every instrument these days runs some type of computer software, (Most being manufacture specific) so there is always the small chance of a crash.
One of the biggest threats however (And the cause of most system crashes) is a mains spike or surge, so make sure you use a surge suppresser between your keyboard and the mains plug.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#195730 - 12/14/05 02:48 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:

Thank G-d it wasn't during the dancing, but nevertheless I got a few strange looks.

Did anyone else have this problem?

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. I was just playing a regular style (not user) and hadn't pressed any buttons at the time of the error.

Chony

From a programmer's point of view, it could be your memory chips, if you have recently upgraded the memory sticks in your keyboard I would definatelly check them out.
(you can also try removing the chips and installing them again)

Remember, that even if your not using your upgraded memory, it is still part of the system and your keyboard will lockup if they won't communicate.

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Korg Triton Extreme, PA1X Pro, Yamaha PSR730 (for sale)
Click to visit my website

#195731 - 12/14/05 03:06 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

Thanks everyone.
1 - Yes it did reset
2 - I was using a power conditioner so spiking wasn't the problem
3 - I have not installed any additional RAM.

;(

#195732 - 12/14/05 03:33 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
I don't have a T2, I still have a VA7. In rare occasions I've had a hang up as well - the sound in that case didn't stop: it sounded like it crashed. Very annoying 'digital' tones were then coming out.

The only solution was restarting the board, I've also tried reloading the firmware in it at that time. After that it happened only once. Next week I will have to play for about 7 hours, and I think it will go just fine...

I think you have done the right thing chony: just restart the thing and it should go well again.

It's a computer, that means per definition that it can crash...

#195733 - 12/14/05 04:17 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
This is the time of the year where low humidity wreaks havoc with static electricity and electronic goods. Did you experience a shock perhaps?

My T2 has been rock solid so far only 1 gig.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#195734 - 12/14/05 10:54 PM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
chony Offline

Although I realize the Ty2 is a computer, and is prone to crashes, I'm quite worried that I NEVER had this problem with my Ty1, and with the Ty2 I had it on the third performance. This in addition to other glitches like my registration user memory telling me that I'm out of memory when I'm clearly not...

#195735 - 12/15/05 01:27 AM Re: "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" on the Tyros 2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
If the above incidents are characteristic of the T2, (I hope they aren't) then Yamaha has to worry about it.
A keyboard that's designed for professionals should run like "mission critical" software, on a fail safe basis. They have to expect it will be stressed when used.
Maybe it is just a faulty unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online